Monday 30 January 2012

Neither by way of excuse nor explanation

The door of the bar
got stuck
on my way out
but I insisted
and out of blind stubbornness
nearly ripped my fourth-fret
little finger off

So, OK, I give up
trying to give up
go sit back down
order another beer
and let the blood drip
and ignore the other punters'
unconcerned curiosity

The barmaid seeks a word
some gesture of approval
of the hideous cardigan she has on
it's OK, I say
and a standby baiting bitch points out
that's hardly a compliment
but from an Englishman, I say, it is

And just to be a gentle man I add
it would be even nicer if I can have
another beer and then she smiles
and says, proudly, you see
that's a compliment indeed
and so I get another beer
and my finger continues

to bleed.


1 comment:

PAUL G NEALE. ARTIST said...

Where is the naked bird in this poem ? Did the woman in the cardie "get it off" ?
Poetry eh...write more ! Nice sounding bar.